The Best Tools Buying Guide
You'll always be ready for your next project when you have quality tools from Sam's Club. Whether you are a professional or a do-it-yourself enthusiast, we carry hand tools, power tools, measuring tools, safety equipment and tool sets for both small and large jobs. Additionally, you can organize and protect your tool collection with the purchase of one of our tool boxes, benches or chests.
Why Do I Need Household Tools?
You don't have to be a woodworking expert or hobby homebuilder to need a set of household tools. These can come in handy for simple things, like hanging pictures, assembling furniture, car maintenance, lawn care or making simple repairs around the house.
What are the most popular brands of tools?
At Sam's Club, some of our best seller brands and products across tools, tools organization items and accessories/power tool accessories include:
Most Popular Tools and Tool Kits:
- DeWalt 12 Volt Max 3/8 inch Drill/Driver Kit
- WORX XTD Extended Reach 4V L-Ion Cordless Screwdriver
- Member's Mark 238-Piece Mechanics Tool Set
- Blackhawk Fast-lift Service Jack - 3.5 Ton Capacity (Black/Red)
- Banner 3-Ton Garage Jack with 3-Ton Jack Stands
- Black Bull 8 inch Bench Grinder with Work Lights
- WORX 4-1/2 inch WorxSaw Compact Circular Saw & Clamping Sawhorses With Bar Clamps
- Worx Pegasus 4-1/2 inch Worxsaw Compact Circular Saw & 20V Cordless Drill
- Bey-Berk 20 Piece Tool Set in Pink
- Pro-Lift Low Profile Floor Jack - 2 Ton Capacity (Grey)
- Great Neck 8-Piece Steel Pliers and Wrench Tool Set
Most Popular Accessories and Tools Organization Items:
- Yellow Jacket 100-ft. Red, White and Blue Outdoor Extension Cord w/ Lighted Ends
- Pro-Series Scaffolding Guard Rail System
- Pro-Lift Pneumatic Chair with Dual Tool Tray - 300 lb. Capacity (Grey)
- Primefit 20-Piece Air Accessory Kit with 25-Foot Recoil Air Hose
What are the most common tools?
Here are some of the products the writers and editors at This Old House, Houzz and Popular Mechanics say every household should have on hand for building needs, repairs and other DIY projects:
- Toolbox - for storing items on this list
- Screwdrivers: Philips and Flathead
- Utility knife
- Allen key
- Power drill and bits
- Saws: Handsaw, chainsaw, drywall saw, miter saw, table saw
- Calk gun
- Putty knife
- Safety glasses
- Tape measures
- Duct tape
- Carpenter square
- Extension cords
- ….and of course, a hammer!
Where can I buy tools?
At Sam's Club, we have tool sets to suit almost any project - at members-only prices. We also offer flexible delivery options, so you can spend your time working instead of shopping. It doesn't matter if you are a professional mechanic or a weekend DIYer, to get the job done right, you need the right tools.
What Different Types of Tools and Tool Accessories Are There?
Whether you are looking for items to complete home repairs or mechanical tools for your automotive shop, you'll find dependable tools from leading manufacturers at Sam's Club. Here are some common types of tools and tool kits, many of which you can find at our stores and online:
For all kinds of car repair needs, these may be as common as a flashlight, screwdrivers, pliers and sockets or may include specialty items, such as spark plug pullers, lifting jacks, welders or a digital torque adapter.
As the name suggests, these are not solely human-powered. They rely on compressed air, electricity or combustion. Common power tools include:
- Power grinders
- Air compressors
- Impact drivers
Cordless power tools
Designed using the latest technology, power tools are simple to operate without the hassle of cords or gasoline. Instead, they get their energy from batteries and chargers.
Common hand tools include screwdrivers, wrenches, hand saws and chisels.
You can also save money with one of our tool sets or kits. These kits include multiple tools for tasks such as household projects, gardening and roadside repairs. They often come in a carrying case and make great gifts for any occasion.
Lawn & garden tools
Whether you're looking for products to help with keeping the grass mowed and trimmed or help with plant growth, here are some garden tools and accessories many gardeners can't live without:
- Lawnmowers and trimmers
- Hoses and hose reel carts
- Garden knife
- Pruning sets
- Crate wagon
- Leafeater and mulcher
No matter the size of your tool collection, Sam's Club carries a wide selection of storage options, such as:
- Tool benches
- Tool cabinets
- Tool chests
- Extension cords
- Power cables
What to Consider When Buying Tools
To help guide you as you shop for tools, here's what to think about as you decide which options are right for you:
What is the specific need?
Are you buying for a home improvement project options? If so, ask yourself: What household tools do I need?
What features matter to you? Budget/price, quality, brand-name, and product warranty might be things to think about.
Frequency of use
How often will you use the tool? That might affect what quantity, price range and features you opt for.
What Brands of Tools Does Sam's Club Sell?
Find a range of tools for different needs when you shop at Sam's Club. Browse our website for your home or shop needs and enjoy members-only prices. Here are some of the popular, trusted brands we carry in store and online:
- Pro Lift
- 360 Electrical
- Black Bull
- Great Neck
- Member's Mark
- Muscle Rack
- Porter Cable
FAQ - Tools
How much do tools cost?
Prices will vary based on the kind of tool you're looking to buy. Here are some starting price ranges of some of the common product types available at Sam's Club:
- Tool kits: As low as $30-40
- Power tools: As low as $25-30
- Automotive tools: As low as $25-30
Are battery-powered or corded tools better?
This is always an ongoing debate. Here are some pros and cons of owning and using each:
- Pros: More power, never run out of battery
- Con: Not as easy to use in all situations
- Pros: Easy to transport and use wherever you need them
- Cons: Less power, run out of battery
How should I organize my tools?
For large sets of tools, you may want to opt for a tool bench, cabinet or chest.
While for smaller collections, a wall system pegboard or box will suffice.
For ease and portability, some storage chests are set on wheels and many storage boxes are equipped with handles.
How long should tools last?
This depends more on how well the tools are being cared for and less on the quality of the manufacturer. Construction Today Magazine offers this advice for getting tools to last for years into the future:
- Power tools must be stored properly (not outside where they can be exposed to the elements)
- Parts like drill bits, blades and sandpaper should routinely be updated
- Batteries should be charged before they die entirely, say when they still have 20% battery remaining
- All tools should be cleaned and appropriately greased or de-greased according to their purpose.
How do I clean power tools?
The home building experts at Bob Vila offer these tips for keeping your gear in good shape over the years:
- Remove any dust buildup using a tool like a shop vacuum and a damp towel to get more thorough as needed
- Remove rust using a stiff brush or steel wool
- Assess the tool (while unplugged) to make sure all the moving parts are in order
- Tighten and lube as needed
- Replace or sharpen blades if needed
- Make sure everything is aligned to 90 degrees